Chemin de St. Jacques Update II

by Annalise on April 7, 2010

Hello world.

For all those concerned about the rain and snow – no reason to worry. It hasn’t really effected the walking too much but made for some amazing looking boots and pants by day’s end…

We’re in Lauzerte today. We celebrated Robin’s 14th birthday by taking a day off walking. Well, we actually got him (and us) a bus ride for his birthday and having done the calculations on where our walking would take us by our end date for this part of the trip, we advanced ahead by about 3 days walking. That way we all had a great break day and we got to go out and spoil Robin a bit – photos to follow. And will be able to reach St. Jean Pied-du-Port by April 23. I just may have to come back and plug that walking hole from Figeac to Cahors on some future trip with friends and/or family!

Anyway, we’re all well and enjoying some sunshine now. The terrain is quite different having left the beautiful Aubrac region but it is still gorgeous remote country side. The walking and the sites are spectacular!

Annalise, David and sometimes reluctantly, Robin..

Share and Enjoy
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Reddit
  • del.icio.us

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Sophie April 8, 2010 at 11:48 pm

A bit late, but anyway, happy birthday Robin. I can inform you that the truckload of presents from Vancouver arrived just today, waiting for you guys to arrive…

Shirley Robertson April 10, 2010 at 11:15 am

Well I wouldn’t describe it as a truck load but |I am happy to know that it arrived. Also happy to get an update on your trip as \i head out to Alberta by car. I am very much awaiting more infor on your walk abut also I am so much looking forward to you getting home. I miss you so much.

Ria April 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm

HAPPY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, ROBIN!!!!!!

Sorry we weren’t able to celebrate with you this year, but I hope it will be a birthday you can remember for the rest of your life since you have seen and learned so much this past year, hey!!!!

Take good care all of you and we look forward to seeing you end May!

P.S. By the way, Grandpa Van Ham is doing very well. I even had Mom & him over for lunch yesterday at my house. I cut grandpa’s hair and we had a nice rest before we went back to Bow Island.

Love, Ria & Eric

Jodi Harold Shayna Brennan Hammer April 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

Yep, it’s us…Is that you??Have thought of you so often over the last years. Do you know that Shayna turned 21 last week? Brennan is finishing grade 11. I am speechless to have fjound you and found you trekking across the ocean at that. Have too much really…. Lets see, Harold is still a working crazy fool and after almost gulp 27 years, we are still fairly in love I must admit! He is a terrific initiator and not so great at finishing but still very motivational. He still very hot I think. He is still plumbing, has bought lots of fun sleds and a jet boat and bikes and so on but sailing remains his big love. We bought and still run a small marina at Moberly Lake north of Chetwynd and live there in the summer. We have 6 or so season round sailboats and owners who stay with us and it is a delightful time. Small campsite too so it is always exciting. I got a second degree in Education and do long term french immersion substituting when it works out. Had breast cancer 10 summers ago and am great now. Shayna has done some University but just got her Yoga instructor at Salt Spring Island and is enjoying teaching and works for City of Dawson. Has a good man at her side too – he is a carpenter. Brennan has a sweet sweetie and is quite a serious student, works at swim pool and loves Basketball. Two dogs, many pals and mom and dad still very much part of our world. Love that I found you. I see you are all well and then some! Must get some rest but will look forward to more communication . Love you, Jodi van hammer!

Shirley Robertson April 16, 2010 at 4:51 am

Hi all 3,

Glad to get another update. Also very happy to hear that you treated Robin to a bus ride and had a day off. I am in Sherwood Park now and having great visits with all the family. Will be heading back to north Van on Tuesday 20th April.
Lots of love
Shirley

carla April 20, 2010 at 1:46 am

So, while visiting with The Van Tryp’s at church yesterday… I mentioned your athletic pursuits in France… and I believe it was Jack’s Joanne who said.. “so there is a senility gene in your family too!!” She is starting to train for the Terry Fox run in BI in the fall. There are three of them who intend to walk/run 29 km that day to celebrate the 29th anniversary! So, I had mentioned that you guys are in the middle of your walk…and she should have no problem doing it for just one day, rather than everyday.. she did mention that the only extended walking she had been doing was from the couch to the fridge.. :) Hope all is well and there are not too many blisters or sores anywhere… Thinking of you!